Where was Casino Royale filmed?
Without a doubt Casino Royale is one of the better James Bond movies in our opinion and today it is exactly 10 years ago this film was released. Also this is a movie where there are quite a few scenes in a casino.
Casino Royale is the 21st James Bond film released 2006 and based on the book by Ian Fleming from 1953. Daniel Craig plays secret agent James Bond for the first time. In the previous films Bond was played by Sean Connery, George Lazenby, Roger Moore, Timothy Dalton and Pierce Brosnan. In this article we will tell you more about the locations this great movie was filmed and some other things you probably did not know about Casino Royale.
During production of the official 2006 film adaptation of Casino Royale, location filming for the casino and its adjacent hotel took place in the town of Karlovy Vary in the Czech Republic. Although the casino part of the storyline is set in Montenegro, no filming took place there. A famous Czech spa named ‘Lazne I’ or Spa I, the former ‘Kaiserbad Spa’ was used as the exterior of the Casino Royale, with the nearby Grandhotel Pupp serving as “Hotel Splendide”. So there you have it. A casino in Montenegro that was not filmed in Montenegro. Of course there were many other locations around the world where other scenes of the movie were filmed.
10 other interesting facts about Casino Royale
- The title song of the movie “You Know My Name” was sung by Chris Cornell, the former front man of rockband Soundgarden who sadly passed away in 2016.
- Daniel Craig is the first actor to play James Bond who was born after the release of the first movie in the franchise (1962’s Dr. No). He was born in 1968 and is the first official Bond actor not to have been cast by original producer Albert R. Broccoli.
- Three Aston Martin DBS cars – each valued at $300,000 – were destroyed while filming the crash sequence.
- The early scenes set in Uganda where we are first introduced to Le Chiffre and Mr White were actually shot near London.
- Daniel Craig lost two of his front teeth during filming of a fight scene in Prague.
- None of the Miami airport chase sequence was actually filmed in Miami. Instead the filmmakers used Nassau International Airport in The Bahamas, Dunsfold Park Aerodrome in England and Ruzyne International Airport in the Czech Republic.
- Quentin Tarantino revealed in 2004 that he had the wish to make a version of Casino Royale in black and white. He wanted Samuel L. Jackson to play Felix Leiter, with Uma Thurman playing Vesper Lynd.
- The parkour chase at the start of the movie took six weeks to film.
- Casino Royale was the first ever James Bond movie to be approved by censors in China.
- The car barrel-roll stunt with the Aston Martin DBS was officially entered into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2006, having broken the world record for the most barrel rolls assisted by a cannon with a spectacular seven complete rolls.